Sunday 6 November 2011

26 March, 2009 – Amsterdam, Netherlands – Day 1

Before the ferry’s wake up call at 6.45am (for the 7.45am arrival at Hoek of Holland at 7.45am), I was woken up by the sound of someone trying to open the door. I wasn’t sure if it’s at my cabin door, so I got out of the bed, walked to the door and listen (no peeping hole on the door). I listened for awhile but no movements outside, so guess not. Not fully recovered from yesterday's long journey, I went back to bed until the wake up call. It was such a struggle to get myself out of the cozy bed and be back on the road.

After freshening up & had the chocolate croissant as my breakfast, I went out briefly to take a sneak peak of Amsterdam before returning to get my luggage as the ferry approaches the dock. Stepping off the ferry, there are 2 immigration and passport control counters. EU and EER passport holders can queue at either side while other passport holders like me need to queue at the counter on the left. The officer asked me a series of questions: why are you here, are you here alone, how many days you’ll be here, where are you going next? Pretty standard Q&A. Just outside the ferry terminal is the train station where I boarded the 8.21am train to Rotterdam Centraal at platform 2. I'll be arriving at 8.53am, just in time (with a bit of running) to catch the 8.58am train to Amsterdam Centraal. This Intercity train is a double-deck train where the upper decks are categorized as quiet zone. I only knew this after I went up exploring to the upper deck. The journey to Amsterdam Centraal takes about 1 hour 10mins. As we were approaching Schipol Airport station, the ticket conductor came to check the tickets. He told me that I am sitting at the wrong compartment, my ticket is for standard class (meaning 2nd class) but I am now sitting in the 1st class compartment. Oooppsy… luckily he wasn’t strict or fierce. I apologized, grabbed my stuff and went to the 2nd class compartment but there were no seats available so I went to the lower deck and sat down. Phew. Along the way, I noticed that the landscape here is absolutely flat. There were no hills or mountains, just pure flat lands and rivers / canals.

I arrived at the Amsterdam Centraal at 10.03am and its slightly drizzling & it's very cold too. I followed the direction as instructed from my hostel but wasn’t sure if I was in the correct direction. Maybe I’m looking a little lost at the junction, a Turkish man passing by kindly stopped and asked if I needed help. I showed him the hostel address and he pointed me the direction. After that I had no problem locating the hostel. I checked-in but the room wasn’t quite ready yet as their check out time is at 10am. So I waited at the lobby area and used the pc there to surf the internet. Met my sis online so I chatted with her for a while. Half an hour later, I was given the key to the main door, room door and also for the locker. My room is on the 5th floor and we enter from the door next to the hostel reception. It was quite a climb up the narrow staircases with my heavy baggage. The whole of 5th floor has been changed into a 10 bed female dorm so it is pretty spacious. There are 10 single beds, 5 on each side, with the center being divided by wooden beam. I am at bed E, next to the window. There is a small kitchen located at the corner.

Then I went back to the Amsterdam Centraal station to check on the train ticket to Brussels. The ticket would cost about €44 and after checking with the officers, there is some maintenance work going on Sunday (my traveling date) so I need to change quite a few times, making the whole journey long. With that info, I thought it would be a better idea to take bus instead. Next, I went to the tourist information centre opposite the central station. Here, the system works as if you are in a hospital / clinic / bank, where you need to get a queue number and wait for your queue no. to be called before proceeding to the counter. At my turn, I asked about the Keukenhof combination ticket (to see tulips), Zaanse Schans (for windmills) and also the location of Eurolines bus ticket office. I felt that the lady officer wasn’t very friendly and a little snobbish though I still managed to gather the info I wanted from her. Coming out of the centre, it is still drizzling. I made my way to the dam square because the Euroline office should be behind the dam square at Rokin street. Feeling a little hungry, I bought a cone of fries. Here, the locals normally have their fries with mayonnaise sauce and you actually have to pay extra €0.35 for the sauce. I took the chance to ask for the direction to Rokin street. She directed me the way and I quickly found the place. Walking in town, I noticed there were many ‘men in skirts’, the Scotts are plentiful around. All of them in their traditional kilts attire. Many of them singing and chanting away in groups.

I walked into the office, and enquire about the bus to Brussels. It will take about 3hrs 15mins and cost €17. Not a bad deal considering if I take the train, it would also take about 3hrs and the price is more than doubled. I bought the ticket and was told I need to take a metro to Amstel station to board the bus. After settling all the transportations, I walked around Dam Square. This is my second time here. The first time was about 4 years ago, on a business trip. I flew in with 3 bosses but I was ‘lucky’ to not get a flight back together with the bosses as the flight was full. So I got a day off and I wandered around Amsterdam city. It was around end June then, where there were blue skies and sun shine. The square is busy and crowded. I sat at the square together with many others. Now four years after, I am at the same place but the atmosphere was totally different. Cold and wet, the few tourists just quickly took a photo of the area and left. I then went to a pharmacy to get some medication as I am developing a cough. Later, I passed by a supermarket and went in to get some food. Inside, I saw this ready meal with Malay wordings: Sate Babi, Babi panggang... funny :p

After shopping, I had a very long walk back to the hostel as I kept going the wrong way and couldn’t find my way back. My bearings are totally off today. A couple of times, I thought I’ve found the way but only to find it was wrong. Was it due to the lack of sleep or was it due to the oncoming sickness? (Shrug) Finally, I got myself back to the hostel after so many wrong turns. I rested for a while at the hostel before going out again. The rain has now subsided; it is not so cold now. Armed with my camera, I went to the canals, just behind my hostel. Walked along the canals for a while, the same trail I’ve walked 4 years ago. Reminiscing. Took some photos and went back to the hostel as it is getting dark. Back in the hostel, to my surprise, the other 4 beds at my side were occupied and they were all sleeping. So early? Its only about 7pm. Anyway, I went to shower and then microwave my ‘babi panggang’ + fried rice as dinner. Feeling tired, I think I’ll join in the rest of the crowd and sleep early tonight.

No comments: