Saturday 3 May 2008

Budapest, Hungary - Day 2 (Pest)

The hostel provides free breakfast. There are tasty Hungarian cakes, muffins, bread and cheese, coffee and tea. After breakfast, I went out walking along the Danube river. The weather is really nice, sunny blue sky with cool breezes. I just wandered around taking in the sight of Budapest. Budapest is actually a merge between 2 cities, the hilly residential Buda and historic Óbuda on the western bank of the Danube River, and the flat industrial Pest on the east.

I first came to the Parliament Building. There are English speaking guided tour at the Parliament at a charge, but if you are an EU citizen you can visit for free. The commanding building of Budapest Parliament stretches between Chain Bridge and Margaret Bridge on the Pest bank of the Danube. It can be seen almost from every riverside point of the Danube river.

I then arrived at the Fashion street near the Deak F. Ter and there were some stalls selling souvenirs, tidbits and food. It's almost lunch time so I decided to get a Pita from the pita stall. The pita stalls has an oven making fresh pita bread and it's oven is burn using wood. Therefore the pita bread smells really good. There were 3 types of pita at the counter and I have no idea what the toppings are. One of the toppings looked like eggs and quite a few people ordered that so did I. There were about 6-7 types of herbs and spices which you could freely use and I thot I will try all. Well that wasn't egg after all but cottage cheese. It's tasted ok but I felt it's a little too much for me. It's best to share it with someone else unless you really like cheese.

After that I went on a sight-seeing trip on tram no. 2 which runs along the Danube river. Budapest's public transportation is pretty good, there are buses, trams, metro, electric trains (HEV) which covers all the places of interest and more. I bought a 7-day travel pass and that provides me with unlimited rides on any of these public transportations. This is the first time I'm riding on trams. The good thing about trams is that its on the ground so you can enjoy the views and sights along your journey. After tram no. 2, I went on to tram no. 4 for the outer ring road circuit covering the inner town area of Pest. During my tram ride, a gal board the tram together with her small little dog which seemed a little restless. There was an ambulance passing us and the dog actually howl to the ambulance sirens. It's pretty funny and that put a grin and some laughters to the people in the trams.

No comments: