Saturday 6 September 2008

21st Aug 2008 - Keswick (Walla Crag & Ashness Bridge - A Farmed Lanscape)

Day 3

Woke up @ 7am and freshen up preparing for my walk. According to the walking guide, this trail is approx 9km, considered moderate and will take 3-4hrs. Well, from experience I knew that most likely I’ll take double the time said in the guide (time spent to take photographs, take breaks to catch up on my breath, getting lost…). So I made sure that I start early just in case I got lost then I’ll have more time to hopefully find my way back.

The guide is divided into 6 main sections starting from the Moot Hall but I took a short cut since the trail actually takes me somewhere in between my hostel and the Moot Hall. The initial 4 points are rather easy to follow as the guides provided are very clear and the trails are either roads or on clear footpath signs. I first pass by a farm house and turn into the woodland going uphill. As the footpath curved round to the left, I got a good view across Walla Crag and Falcon Crag. There’s a stream on my left and big grasslands on my right. Very soon, I saw herds of sheep grazing on the grassland. Looking downwards, I can see the lovely Borrowdale. Keswick is actually at the junction of several valleys, including Borrowdale.

Continuing on the path towards Walla Crag, I came out of the woodland to a vast opening with clear views of the surrounding rolling hills. Felt great to stand in the open field and take in the magnificent views. Next, I climbed over a stile (it’s just a wooden plank placed at the wall fence so you can get to the other side of the wall) and reached the viewpoint of Walla Crag. It has stunning views over Keswick and the surrounding fells and the Derwentwater Lake. Simply breathe taking!!! The wind is very strong up here and I had to be careful not to be blown away. There’s a fellow hiker arriving at the viewpoint and left after a 5 minutes break. I lingered little bit more and moved on as other hikers start arriving.

Looking at my guide, I couldn’t make out the path I should take as there were 2 possible trails and both of them are not really clear. There weren’t any sign posts as well. While checking my maps, the couples behind me followed one of the trails although I think the guide pointed to the other. Then there’s a senior couples who came and took the trail I though to be true. So, I followed on. The senior couples were really fit and quick. Very soon I lost track of them while I’m stopping to snap photos. As the path is now very unclear, I’m not sure which way I should go. I can see a possible trail on the left leading up towards a steep hill but then the guide did mentioned not to take the trail towards the left. But if I don’t take the trail, there isn’t any other obvious trail around. Standing in the vast grassland, I looked around for signs of other hikers. Then I recognized the red rucksack carried by the senior couple earlier on and they are already half way up the steep hill. So although unsure, I followed on to the trail leading uphill, constantly looking back down to find if there’s any other trails that I’ve missed.

The climb was a pretty steep and I had to stop couple of times to catch my breath and rest my weakening legs. Finally I reach the top but it started to rain so I decide not to stay but work my way down. I wasn’t sure if the path I took was the correct one and soon I know I followed the wrong path. As the path has now disappeared and although there’s sign of possible footpath but it doesn’t seem to be leading to the correct path. I am officially lost. I don’t know where to go; I can’t see anybody around but sheep. Studying the map and the guide, I figured I need to find a way towards the lake. I could see some trails some distant away so I thought if I could work my way there then I should be ok. So I cautiously make a straight line walk through knee-deep bushes and small trees. But as I near the trail, I came to realize that there’s an edge drop to the streams below hence I can’t get to the trail directly. So, I’m stuck again but I’m still calm as it’s only about 12noon so I have another 8hrs to get myself back before its dark. Worst case scenario is I back-trace my trails and go back to where I come from.

Suddenly, I heard some noise like people’s yelling from a far. I stopped and listen. Nothing. So I continue on walking up alongside the streams then I hear it again. I stopped and scanned. There, I saw a group of people on the opposite side of the hills. That’s a slight relieve. So I reassess my location and try to work my way towards the group of people. There’s a fence in between me and them so I climbed over the fence only to find that it’s a sharp fall to the stream. I continued going upwards as I think there should be a place where the streams start hence I could cross over. Finally I found the place where I could cross the streams and made it to the opposite hill. Now, with the fresh shoe marks in the mud and clearer trails, I am much more confident that I could continue on this walk. However, while on the way, I almost sprained my right ankle as its pretty slippery and muddy. Now I started descending the hills. On a split path, while figuring which path I should take, I saw the hiker I met at the Walla Crag viewpoint. Hence I followed him downwards but my speed now is very slow as my old injuries on my right knee started to pain again. I had to constantly rest to release the stress on my knees.

At the bottom of the hill is the famous Ashness Bridge. Many hikers and tourists stopped here for a picnic lunch. I too sat by the river and had an apple and rested. I was very relieved that from this point onwards, it’ll be level road walking and no more climbing up and down. Walking along the lake’s shoreline was pretty nice and relaxing. While passing a grass field, I noticed an old Herdwick sheep. I inched closer trying to get a close-up. Then the sheep looked up straight towards me. It’s so cute, like a cartoon character. After a while, he moved away.

Continued on, I reached the lakeside I was at yesterday. So I sat down and rested. Later as it’s getting sunny, I found a shaded natural chair formed by the roots of a tree. I took off my wet shoes and socks. Lean on to the tree and rest. It’s very relaxing listening to the lapping waves, chirping birds, and mild wind. I would have stayed for hours if not that I needed to use the toilet. After my toilet break, I sat by the docks. My knees are hurting and I thought does this means that no more hiking / climbing while I’m at Scotland?

Feeling hungry, I went back to the town and bought a ready meal (Tikki Masala chicken rice). After my shower and dinner, I rested at the tv room munching on Pringles.

8 comments:

kockajäveln said...

you have a beautiful blog!

Anonymous said...

haha.. the sheeps are so cute! greats shots! hmm.. careful with the sharp falls and egde drops ya...

ElMO said...

Chili: Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

二姐:Yeap, so very cute felt like bringing it back with me hehe...

Anonymous said...

if i don't click on the sheep for the enlarge photo, it looks like it's wearing glasses :p

ElMO said...

Kelly: ya hor, didn't look at it that way until you mentioned it. hehe

Anonymous said...

Hello

Awesome post, just want to say thanks for the share

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Just wanted to show my appreciation for your time and hard work