Monday 1 September 2008

19th Aug 2008 - Lake District (Windermere)

Day 1




After checking in, I rested in my room recovering from the long drive. The room is pretty small, with a single bed, a wash basin, a small TV and 2 small table cabinet, but its sufficient for a single person. The toilet & shower is located upstairs. As I will only be here for one night, I wanted to make the most of my time here so I head out although it's drizzling. Armed with a local map I got from the B&B, I went out wandering around with no particular destination in mind. The town of Windermere is very compact but lively. I ventured into an area which i thought was a park but turned out it's actually the local library. Coming out from the library, I stopped to look at my map. A very kind lady also coming out of the library stopped and asked if I needed any help. Her act warmed my heart and I smiled saying "I'm fine, thank you" (coz i have no idea where I wanna go). Looking at the map, I saw there's a public footpath nearby which would lead me toward the lake promenade area. So I decided to go there since I still have about 4 hrs before the sun sets. I took the wrong lane thinking it was the footpath but turned out its a dead end with holiday cottages to my left. As I turn back towards the main road, an old lady (living there) with her raincoat over her head pointed me to the correct entrance way. Hmm... people here are sure really friendly =) It was actually a tiny lane hidden next to the lane I took. The path took me through the woods with a stream to my right. At the end of the path, I came out to a main road and took a left turn towards the lake. There, I was welcomed by the beautiful lake Windermere.

Swans and ducks flocked around tourists for breadcrumbs, dozens of gondolas and boats parked at the shore for rent. I lingered at the promenade watching and photographing the swans just inches away. 2 Japanese girls standing near me kept saying 'kawaii' (meaning cute in jap). Further down the path, i came to the docking bay for yachts. They were all lined up neatly and most of them are actually for sale. Several new models were also on display on land but the price tags on it really shocked me (some are equivalent to the price of a house). Back at the promenade, small kids having fun feeding the birds while their parents watch on with a big smile on their faces, lovers and couples strolling along the shoreline, everybody is having a wonderful time. Such a peaceful and nice scene...

As it started raining again, I thought I better head back. It soon turned into a really heavy downpour. Despite having an umbrella, I was still soaking wet knee-down. This doesn't help when I overshot my turning without knowing it until a few blocks down. Shower time, the water was icy cold !!! No matter which way I turn the knob there just isn't any hot water coming out. Quickly braved myself thru the cold water shower and back to the room to warm up. Dinner was tomato & vege soup pack, bread and pringles. Watched some Olympics and surfed a while and slept @ 11pm with the rain still going strong outside.

No comments: