Saturday 23 February 2008

搬家了。 The Move



Now that I've found myself a job (big grin), next up on the list is to find myself a place to stay close to work. My new company is about 1.15hrs drive away from my cousins. I don't think I want to commute everyday to work. So I started searching online for rental places close to office, and decided to stay in Swindon.

Swindon is a large town in Wiltshire in the South West of England. Swindon began as a Saxon village. The name Swindon is derived from the Saxon words swine dun meaning pig hill or the hill where pigs were bred. Swindon is on the main rail line between London and Bristol, and has one train station. The Great Western Railway reached Swindon in 1840 and has selected the place to built an engine building and maintenance works. Workers from the rest of the country were brought to Swindon to work at the railway station and a workers village were built for them. Therefore, Swindon is also known as 'The Railway Town'. A resident of Swindon is known as a Swindonian. Swindon's motto is "Salubritas et Industria" (Health and Industry). Today, there are lots of big industry / factory in Swindon eg. Honda has a big plant here.

My colleagues from the HR dept. were very kind in giving me a hand in the search. After some search, I arranged 4 viewing appointments with the rental agencies and head down to Swindon. I took the train there this time (no more company car) but one of my colleague, Nicky, was there to greet me and drove me to all my appointment places. Honestly, I am very amazed by the kind of help the company provided. I would never thought of having this kind of services and help in a millionth years. Maybe this is the difference between local and MNC company?

I viewed all 4 in total:-
a) Studio cottage on a farm - very luxury and comfy with all the appliances and ready to move in. Nice view. Transport not convenient. Price = High.
b) Studio Flat (own bathroom & kitchen) - OK, a bit old. Most of the appliances available but need own bedding stuff. Need to shuttle to town. Price = Moderate.
c) Studio Flat (own bathroom, shared kitchen) - Nice setting. Most of the appliances available but need own bedding stuff. Walking distance to town. Price = Moderate.
d) Double bedroom (shared bathroom & kitchen) - Room OK, only 1 bathroom in the house. Don't feel good about the neighborhood (was told later that the street was a red-light district previously). Close to town. Price = Cheaper.

Based on the first impression I got from the 4 places,I was choosing between (a) & (c), but considering the price and location, I chosed (c). The rental is 425pounds per month (inclusive of bills except telephone & internet). Yes, it's kinna expansive but the rentals here is that expansive. So, no choice lah.

No comments: