Tuesday 12 February 2008

缘起。Starting Point - Part 1



I guess it all started since I was still a little gal... there is a sense of adventure and exploration within me to see, to explore and to experience the world. Probably this is because of all the adventure story books my mom borrowed from her school's library that has cultivated this interest in me bit by bit.

I have always seek ways to go overseas. The first possibility was when I went to college after SPM, but then I was accepted into local university. After graduating from University, I went over to Singapore and found a job there. So there it is, my first "overseas" experience. In many ways, Singapore is very much like Malaysia but yet there are much differences between these 2 countries as well. I love SG for it is an organized and well planned country in terms of infrastructure and community. The services you get at the government offices is pretty efficient. However, life in SG can be very routine as there isn't much variety on this small island unless you are a shopper-holic or you have a car to drive to those places not easily accessible by buses/mrts.

Malaysia on the other hand, lacks some organizations and detail planning skills. Efficiency in the govt offices also is on the low side. But, the great food, warm & friendly people, good range of outdoors activities, beautiful islands... you can always find something to suit your taste. Not forgetting the 'mamak stalls' where you can chill with your friends at night.

After 1 year into my job, I chance upon the UK WHM (working holiday maker) Visa program, where Commonwealth citizens age between 17 - 30yrs old can enter UK for 2 years and work legally in UK to support themselves. Immediately I was attracted to this program and wanted to apply for it. Talking to my sister made me realize I need to plan carefully especially in financial terms. So i started a spreadsheet listing my savings and expenses. This has really helped put everything into picture because I can now see what kind of savings I need to have before I can up this challenge 'safely'. My travel plan was put on hold when mom was diagnosed... In the years she was fighting the cancer, I continued on my career in SG and traveled to nearby countries.
-- to be continued --

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your site is very tastefully done mann. i like your header photos. . must be by your professional cam