Sunday 17 February 2008

英国,从这一刻开始 。 A Whole New Venture in UK


After approximately 13 hours flight, I landed in United Kingdom, London Heathrow Airport Terminal 1, about 5+am (sorry yeah, forgot the time as it's already 7mths ago). I was a bit nervous when waiting for my turn at the immigration counter as I wonder what questions the immigration officer might ask me later on. Luckily, the officer just asked some basic questions and send me off to the nurse's room for x-ray. Apparently I was the first 'patient' of the day in the clinic, when I handed the nurse my x-ray report (which I've done in Malaysia), she happily send me off. After I collected my luggage, I went out to meet my cousin's hubby, who were already waiting for me at the arrival hall. Poor him, have to wake up so early in the morning to come and pick me up. Thanks a lot, Mike.

My cousin stays in Frimley, Surrey, about an hour plus from Heathrow Airport, with her hubby and her 2 boys. It's a school day and my cousin was preparing the lunchbox for the boys in the kitchen. The boys have just woken up and I think I scared Matthew (the younger of the 2) when he roams into the kitchen to see me, a stranger / intruder at his house. I'm sure he knew I was coming but maybe he didn't expect to see me there when he wakes up that morning :p

Matthew loves playing board games, probably inherited this from his father. He even creates his own board games, drawing the game on the cardboard of cereal boxes, set rules and rewards for the games. He is pretty imaginative and creative and he is real good in maths & strategy. His brother, Thomas on the other hand, has the love for music and Simpsons (yes, Bart & Homer). He is always practicing at the piano at his own initiative. He is kind of shy (so am I :p) so I interacted more with Matthew because we played board games together. Almost all the board games I've never played before, but that is fine as Matthew will give me advice what to do or not do (although I am his opponent). Adorable.

My cousin is a full-time housewife. However, her daily schedule is pretty packed with driving the kids to school, to activities, preparing and cooking meals and household cleaning. It's definitely not an easy job.

It's supposed to be summer (meaning HOT) when I arrive in UK. However, this summer was not exactly the typical British summer. It's still pretty chilly and it rains a lot. Did I bring the tropical rain from Malaysia ??? hehehe... My hands and feet easily turns cold in cold environment. Back in SG, when I go into an air-conditioned room (my company office or shopping malls), my hands will immediately turns icy cold. I think this is due to poor blood circulation or is it that I am a cold-blooded human instead of warm-blooded like everyone else? The sentence 'wah, your hand is so cold' is no stranger to me as I hear it over thousands of times when I shake hands with people. I try my best to "warm' my hands if I'm to shake hands with others by slipping my hands into my pocket or hold on to a cup of hot drinks etc. to minimize the 'cold shock'.

No comments: