Tuesday 25 March 2008

In love with Cornwall - Part 1


It was a long weekend here in UK celebrating Good Friday and Easter Holiday (21 & 24 March) so off i went to Newquay, Cornwall to satisfy my yearning to see the great big ocean again. It was sunny on Friday morning when I woke up and had my breakfast. Then as I stopped at the petrol station to pump my tyres, sudden rain hit and soon it turned to snow. The snow lasted for about 8 minutes and cleared as I pull out of the petrol station. The drive from Swindon to Newquay is estimated to take about 3.5hours. There were quite a lot of traffic on the road as the 4 days holiday is just long enough for people to go somewhere for a break. In the end, it took me 4.5hours as there were 2 accidents along the motorway which slowed the traffic to almost crawling at 10mph.

It's about 2.30pm when I finally reached my hotel (Sandy Lodge Hotel) in Newquay. My room was pretty small and basic but have en-suite bathroom. As soon as I unpack my stuff, I set out towards Newquay town in search for my lunch. It was still pretty cold and the wind was extremely strong. I find walking against the wind is extremely difficult and the wind also blew up sands which make it hard to keep my eyes open.

The beaches around (Porth, Lusty Glaze, Tolcarne, Great Western, Towan, Harbour and Fistral) Newquay and the Atlantic Coast of Cornwall are simply among the finest in western Europe and, some would argue, the world. That special combination of crystal clear Gulf Stream waters and pale sand gives the beaches a 'tropical' quality - usually only glimpsed within the pages of exotic travel brochures. Standing on the cliffs overlooking any one of the many beaches within this region is to experience the very essence of Cornwall.

In the day time, surfers flocked the sea and brave the strong waves, children running around the beach, dog owners play catch with their dogs, lovers strolling the beach hand in hand... When night comes, Newquay turns into a party town with youngster partying in bars and drinking in pubs.

No comments: