Monday 31 March 2008

In love with Cornwall - Part 4


Sunday, the third and final day of my Cornwall trip. I woke up with my still aching thighs... and bummer it's raining. After yet another big English breakfast (they are serving exactly the same stuff as yesterday, but hey can't complain as this ain't no 5 star hotel), I load all my stuff into my car and checked out. The hotel is kind enough to let me leave my car at their carpark while I go out for another stroll along Newquay, trying to capture some photos of Newquay since I didn't actually take any on my first day here.

Yes, it's still extremely windy and with my now aching body, it makes it even harder to walk against the wind. Gosh I really need to start doing some exercise and get fit before embarking on my Euro tour later on. The weather is totally horrible this morning, gloomy, windy, and worst part... its raining. It started with short drizzles where I just hide my camera under my jacket and waited for a while until the rain subsided. Then the rain really started picking up and as the wind accelerates the speed of the raindrops, it felt like my face is being hit with tonnes of sands.

There is this house constructed on a huge lime-rock on the Great Western Beach. The house was connected to the mainland via a hanging bridge. Very cool. I hang around for a while before going off to explore some other alleys of the town. Wandered into a shop and got myself a Cornish ice cream. Pretty nice to be eating ice cream despite the cold weather.

After that I set off in my car to Cranktock. Another small town nearby. There is also a beach in Cranktock but in the end I decided to give it a past coz the car park I found in the village requires me to walk for some distance up and down a hill slope. So, I navigate myself to Boscastle, about 1 hour away. The road I took is some narrow and winding roads along the vast farmlands. Couple of times I stopped my car at the roadside to take some photos.

As I am about to reach the village in Boscastle, I was stunned by the view. The village is situated at the bottom of the valley. So as I drove down, I could see the whole village, the sea and the hills... It's amazingly beautiful. This picturesque fishing village of Boscastle in North Cornwall, with its Medieval core and distinctive harbour is one of Cornwall's most romantic places. On 16 August 2004, Boscastle suffered extensive damage after a flash flood caused by an exceptional amount of rain that fell over the course of five hours that afternoon. There were still construction works going on today to restore and rebuilt the village. There is a Witch Museum in Boscastle and it claimed to be one of the busiest and most visited museum in UK.

After an hour wandering in the village, I got myself another Cornish Pasties as my lunch before heading back to Swindon. The journey back this time was pretty smooth sailing and I reached home after 3.5hours.

This Cornish trip was absolutely stunningly beautiful and inspiring. There are still a lot more of Cornwall for me to explore and visit. I will definitely visit again and next time it won't be a short trip.

Here are the photos I've taken during my Cornwall trip. Enjoy.
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/yhszee/UKCornwall2123March08?authkey=hUJ_D7cGZrc

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yey! good that you have posted some photos... i enjoyed looking em'