Tuesday 18 November 2008

14th Sept 2008 - Brighton and back to Surrey

Day 13

Today is my last day in Brighton and also the end of my journey down south. After breakfast, I went for a final stroll on the beach and also head back to the food festival to get some cakes for my cousin sister's family. I managed to get some cakes which are nuts, dairy and egg free as my nephews are allergic to them. I saw a huge group of motorcyclists on big bikes riding towards the Brighton pier. Curious, I head towards the pier to find the pier packed with various types of motorbikes... superbikes, scooters, Streams of bikers kept coming in and there were traffic police to make sure everything is in order.

I asked an elder man sitting next to me what is actually happening. He told me that it was the Ace Cafe London's 15th Annual Reunion. Over the years, Ace Cafe London has forged lasting and strong links to the global motorcycling community, which is reflected by the many visitors from overseas, one of the largest contingents being The Continental Run, which starts with a party at Cafe Hubraum in Solingen, Germany, before departing the next morning to cross Holland, Belgium and France, gathering numbers en route to the ferry, arriving at the cafe late afternoon, and culminating in an evening of rock 'n' roll! The Brighton Burn Up & Ride With The Rockers, has been an integral part of Ace Cafe Reunions since 1996, and is a free, grand day out at the seaside on Brighton's famous seafront road, Madeira Drive. With trade and club stands, displays, live music and special guests. The man is a biker himself and he used to participate in the event and rode down to Brighton from London every year. But this year, he couldn't rode down with his pals due to his medical condition.

After thanking him for the information, I went walking down the road admiring all the super-bikes... There is a small exhibition showing antique motorcycles and there's a stage with live band performance and some motorists are dancing away down the stage. After some time, I bid farewell to Brighton and drove to my cousin's house in Surrey, where I'll be staying for a couple of days before going to Italy with my friend, who will be flying over to London from Malaysia.

No comments: