Monday 17 November 2008

6th Sept 2008 - St. Ives & Zennor

Day 5

After breakfast, I drove to St. Ives (Cornish: Porth Ia), a beautiful seaside town, civil parish and port in the Penwith district of Cornwall, England. It's about 15mins drive away from Penzance. The town lies north of Penzance, and west of Camborne. In former times it was commercially dependent on fishing as an industry. The decline in fishing, however, has caused a shift in commercial emphasis and the town is now primarily a holiday resort. As soon as I arrived in this town, I regretted not staying here. There are several beaches with clear turquoise blue sea water within walking distance from St. Ives town. I parked my car just above the Porthminster beach. St. Ives town and harbour are situated to the left hand side. The water is very clear and it is here that I finally hear the sound of the lapping waves. Two coast guards are just setting up the flags to indicate the area suitable for swimming or surfing. I kind of regretted for not staying here in St. Ives as I am more of a sea & beach person. Well, I know next time.

After a stroll along the beach, I walked toward the town & the harbour. Part of the town is on a sloppy terrain and the roads within the town are pretty narrow. There were cafes and restaurant along the sea front. The town was packed with tourists who are either staying within the town or day-trippers like me. It's really a lovely place. The roads and pavements along the coast were built using cobble stones, adding some flavors to the scene. Most of the houses along the coasts were painted in white and blue for the frames. There are quite a number of boats docked at the harbour and one of them even has a pirate flag.

As it started to rain, I head towards the shops for shelter while walking pass all the shops. I was surveying and thinking what to have for lunch. Then I passed by an art gallery where there were several artists showcasing their art works (oil paintings, water colour paintings, portraits, landscapes, sceneries), many of the artworks are really good and are to my likings. I've decided just to have a pasty to go since the rain has subsided. This time, I opted for the chicken & leek flavor (£2) from the Cornish Pasty shop for a change. It's pretty nice to have something hot in this cold rainy weather. The potatoes in the pasties are mashed until thick & creamy. With the pasty in hand, I went exploring the town and residential area crisscrossing residential lanes and then found another beach, the Porthgwidden Beach. I also came across a square where it houses several artists (painters, wood crafters etc) but most of the workspaces were closed.

As my car park timing is almost up, I walked back to my car and bid farewell to the beautiful St. Ives and drove to Zennor, a small rugged village, where many came here for the coastal path walks. I parked my car next to the Old Chapel Hostel, a chapel-turned-hostel. There isn't much to see here so I went on a brief walk along the coastal path. However I didn't venture too far away as the sky is pretty gray and dark. After the walk at around 5+ pm, I went back to my hostel and call it a day.

No comments: