Tuesday 4 November 2008

3rd Sept 2008 - Ilfracombe (Torr’s Walk)

Day 2

Woke up from a dream and it's almost 9am, Katie has gone to school. Went down to have my breakfast and then set off to the Torr's Walk. First, I went up the Hillsborough to take in the view of Ilfracombe town. There's a huge flag pole and also a statue of Ekaterine Frolov, a Russian girl who had tragically fell to her death from Hillsborough on 19 July 2000, at the age of 14.

The starting point of the Torr’s Walk started with a slight slope passing by some lovely cottages and also some fancy big houses. The trail then leads through a thin wood and soon it opens up with the big blue ocean and the rock cliffs to my right. Continued on the winding narrow path up the slope and just loving this magnificent view. It's a great day with blue sky, fluffy clouds and the sun is shining, what a great day for a walk. The coastal path trails were pretty clear with signs markings every now and then. There are quite a lot of wild berries and also several huge slimy 'snails' (minus it's shell) crawling on the path. Soon I reached the viewpoint overlooking the whole of Ilfracombe town. Great views and again all to myself and some sheeps :)There's a sign post at the viewpoint and I could either head back to Ilfracombe or continue on the coastal path towards Lee. Since it's just past noon and the sky is still pretty clear, I chose to continue on the coastal path towards Lee Village. I went past an enclosed field with herds of cows (but there's a public footpath). So I went in to get up close with the cows. The cows were pretty 'curious' about my intrusion. Bit by bit, they inched closer towards me while I'm busy photographing them. There's a young baby cow who hid beside the grown ups secretly checking me out ;p Cute...

I returned to the coastal path and continued walking. Soon, I reached a split road with one of the sign pointing towards Lee Village. Not sure which way I should take, I descended to the village and saw 3 elders chatting by the road. So I approached them and asked for direction. They told me to either take the coastal path or take the 2.30pm bus back to Ilfracombe. Went back to the coastal path and soon I arrived at Lee Bay. Such a beautiful place it is. I went down to the rocky shores and walked around. It smelt of ‘seaweeds’ as there were many washed up on the shore. Families with kids and also couples with dogs playing around the area. Such peace and tranquility to live here. The sky soon changed colours hence I decided to end my walk here and take the bus back. But the bus is not due for another hour. As I waited the rain starts pouring down, I quickly ran to take cover under the narrow roof of the Waterfront Hotel which has already closed down. It rained continuously for about 40mins. My shoes and pants are soaking wet. Finally, the bus came and I board the bus back to Ilfracombe.

Back in hostel, I cooked tomato broccoli soup and also microwave some breaded turkey breast for late lunch. After the meal, I decided to call it a day although its just past 4pm and catch up on my trip report. About 7pm I went down to have some winter melons and watched Hell's Kitchen. It's a tv program, something like the Apprentice but in the kitchen with Chef Ramsey. 16 chefs (divided into men and women team) are competing to become the executive chef in Ramsey LA's restaurant. It’s very intense working in the kitchen (serving real customer on set) and you see chef Ramsey throwing unqualified food, smashing the pans, yelling and reprimanding the candidates without mercy. It just grabbed my attention (I don't know why but I just love these kind of reality shows).

No comments: